Protecting your privacy is important to us. When processing your personal data, we comply with the applicable legislation, in particular the Law of December 8, 1992 on the protection of privacy and its implementing decrees, replaced as of May 25, 2018 by EU Regulation 2016/679 of April 27, 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data) ("General Data Protection Regulation")( hereinafter referred to as the "Privacy Regulation".
We may amend this data protection policy, for example in connection with changes to our products or services or to current legislation. You are therefore advised to read this privacy statement at regular intervals.
Last update: May 2018
Responsible for processing:
Gabriëls en C° NV, Hekkestraat 41, 9308 Hofstade (hierna “Gabriëls” of “us” )
Tel.: 053/78 98 78
To whom does this privacy statement apply ?
This privacy statement concerns the processing of personal data of our customers and prospects who show interest in our products and services, as well as personal data of former customers whose data are still stored in our database.
This privacy statement also concerns the processing of personal data of our suppliers and business contacts.
What data are processed by us?
Depending on the specific products or services you purchase from us or the business relationship we have with you as a supplier or other business contact, the following categories of data may be stored in our database:
General information: information that allows us to identify or contact you
Individuals: name, first name, gender, address, telephone (landline and/or cell phone), e-mail, fax, date of birth, etc.
Companies: company name, legal form, address, company phone number, VAT no., company number, name of contact person, function or job title, phone number of contact person (landline and/or cell phone), e-mail, etc.
Information related to the execution of the specific agreement or transaction by Gabriëls (home delivery of fuel, ordering via web shop, fuel card, fuel savings, management of your mileage charge via Satellic, etc.) or to the specific products and services you provide to Gabriëls as a supplier.
This may include customer or file number, order/transaction history, web shop account login, delivery address, fuel card number, fuel card user, fuel card usage specifications (e.g. limit, products allowed), fuel sheet, credit score information (only for VAT obligations), payment information (e.g. IBAN/BIC bank account number, direct debit number), monthly amount saved, On Board Unit identification number, license plate, driver name, vehicle registration and identification report and any other information necessary for the execution of the agreement.
When you use the functionalities of our mobile app to find a nearby gas station, car wash, electric charging station, ... we need to process your location data for this purpose.
We may also store your responses or feedback regarding products purchased by you that we receive from you as part of satisfaction or market surveys, or any complaints regarding products or services that you have directed to us.
To the extent possible, we also record the date on which this data was communicated to us or on which certain adjustments were made to that data.
Information collected by automated means
When you visit our website/webshop or use our mobile app, in addition to the personal data you voluntarily share with us, we may collect and process certain information automatically through cookies and similar technologies placed by us.
This includes: IP address, time of your visit to the website or use of the mobile app, the web address from where you clicked through, pages viewed, links clicked through....
Location data may be used for certain applications, if enabled by you.
If you are active on or "like" our social networking pages, we may also include this information in our database.
We may also receive information related to you from third parties
Gabriëls may use information acquired through external partners or specialized data suppliers to contact you for prospecting purposes. If you were contacted by us in the context of a commercial action and have not provided us with your personal data yourself, you can always contact us to find out through which source we received your personal data.
In addition, we may also obtain data from external partners or specialized data suppliers to supplement, correct or update your personal data or to create a marketing profile.
This information may also include information from publicly available sources.
Moreover, we receive the relevant transaction data regarding the use of your Gabriel's fuel card (card number, purchase date, product and number of liters and specific technical data such as pump number, pump location, terminal etc.) if you have used it at a partner station from our partner network (Octa+, Power, DKV, Greenpoint ...).
Automated decision-making and profiling
Within the framework of the agreement to grant one (or more) fuel card(s), we reserve the right to obtain information regarding the applicant's creditworthiness from companies specialized in providing trade information.
This profile information (credit score) is prepared by these external, specialized companies and is based, among other things, on published financial and business information and payment experience.
The information thus obtained, combined with the customer's own payment history in the case of existing customers, may be taken into account for the decision whether or not to grant or cancel the fuel card(s) and/or for the determination or adjustment of the corresponding credit limits. The final decision is not made by automated decision-making, but is made by Gabriels itself.
What do we use your personal data for and what is the legal basis for these processing operations?
With your consent (legal basis: art. 6a. of the privacy legislation)
- To answer your question or contact you when you request it, e.g. through our reply forms.
- To track and process your participation in any of our contests or promotions.
- To offer you the services of our Mobile App.
- To send you our digital newsletters or personalized marketing via email or other channels to which you have subscribed.
- In accordance with E-privacy legislation, based on your implied consent, we may send you commercial emails (newsletter and commercial offers) for our products and services if you are already a customer and have communicated your email address to us.
- You have the option to oppose this use of your email address at any time, free of charge (you can easily unsubscribe via the added link at the bottom of each email).
- You can withdraw your consent at any time (see below "exercising your rights").
For the performance of the agreement (legal basis: art. 6b. of the privacy legislation)
- To prepare, execute and follow up the order or agreement.
- For general customer management, including accounting processing, debt collection or transfer, dispute management and legal proceedings.
- For processing and following up complaints, after-sales service.
- For general supplier contract management, including order tracking, supplier payment, supplier prospecting.
For the protection of our legitimate interest (legal basis: art. 6f. of the privacy legislation).
In such case, we always strive to strike a balance between that interest and respecting the privacy of the data subject.
- To keep you informed about our offer and new products, services or promotions that might interest you, including through the use of files of specialized companies, data suppliers, that we acquire for prospecting purposes, possibly based on an analysis of your marketing profile.
- If you do not want any advertising at all, you can exercise your right to oppose direct marketing (see infra "exercising your rights").
- To centralize, combine and enrich customer data with useful data.
- To create customer profiles to make information about our products and services and offers more relevant and best suited to your interests or personal needs.
- For conducting research and testing with the purpose of evaluating and improving our products and services, our internal processes and our services in general.
- To compile statistics and analysis for financial, management, marketing and reporting purposes.
- To detect and combat abuses and fraud, to manage disputes and legal proceedings and to protect our rights in general.
To fulfill the legal obligations to which we are subject (legal basis: article 6c. of the privacy legislation):
In certain cases, we are required by law to process and/or disclose your personal data to the government or agencies specified by law.
To whom are your personal data transferred ?
Your personal data may be disclosed to third parties in the following cases:
- To the service providers we rely on to perform certain services on our behalf and who process personal data in the process (e.g. email marketing service provider, service provider involved in the execution of payment transactions, etc.).
These processors can use your data only within the strict limits of the instructions they receive from us, in accordance with this privacy statement. They are subject to strict obligations regarding confidentiality and security of your data and do not become owners of your data.
- To third parties to whom we need to transfer your data taking into account the specific services we provide for you (e.g. To Satellic, manager of the toll system for the mileage toll, when you mandate us to manage your Satellic account, e.g. To the partner stations within the authorized partner network to whom we transfer the transaction data related to your refueling if you use a fuel card from one of these partner stations at Gabriel's etc.).
- To other companies in our corporate group for the same purposes as those stated in this privacy statement.
- To our possible legal successors (e.g. in case of sale, reorganization, merger, liquidation of (part of) our company).
- When (i) certain laws, legal proceedings or a government agency require us to do so, (ii) when there is a legitimate interest to do so or the disclosure of this data is necessary and appropriate to prevent any financial or other damage or to protect our rights (e.g., disclosure to our credit insurer with whom we take out insurance against unpaid invoices or to legal service providers) , or (iii) in connection with an investigation of (suspected) fraudulent or illegal activities.
- To other third parties, if you have given specific consent.
Transfer of personal data outside the European Union
By communicating your personal data to us, you agree that it may be transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area. For example, we may use cloud service providers located in countries outside the European Economic Area to host and process your personal data.
In the event of such a transfer, we will ensure that the processing of your personal data is always adequately protected in accordance with the obligations of privacy laws and this Privacy Statement.
How long do we keep personal data ?
Your personal data will be kept for the period necessary to fulfill the purpose for which we process it. The retention period may therefore vary depending on the purpose.
Personal data of customers will be kept for a period of ten years after the last purchase.
Personal data of prospects will be kept for a period of five years after the last contact.
In case of newsletter subscription, your data will be kept as long as you do not unsubscribe.
Personal data of business contacts and suppliers will be kept on file for as long as you represent the supplier in question and its retention is necessary for the management of the supplier relationship.
Location data is used only for the provision of the relevant service and is not retained.
Retention period for compliance with legal obligations and evidentiary purposes. For other purposes, personal data may need to be retained longer, for example to comply with our legal obligations and (e.g. accounting and tax obligations) or to present certain data as legal evidence in disputes.
During this period of passive management, the data are only accessible to a limited extent.
How do we secure your personal data?
Gabriëls makes every effort to secure your personal data as well as possible and to protect your privacy as much as possible. We take all measures that are technically and organizationally necessary for this. For example, our network, infrastructure and computer systems are strictly secured. Only our employees who must have this access in order to perform their duties are granted access to your personal data.
What rights do you have? How can you exercise them ?
Your right of access and correction
You have the right to access your data contained in our file. You also have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate data about you or to complete incomplete information.
Your right to withdraw your consent
If you have provided Gabriel's consent to processing, you may revoke it at any time.
Your right to object
You can always oppose, without giving any reason, the use of your personal data for direct marketing purposes (i.e., to send you promotional offers), as well as its use for marketing profiling purposes (i.e., to send you the promotional offers we deem most interesting to you, based on your marketing profile).
You also have the right to object to the processing of your personal data based on your specific circumstances in all cases where we process your personal data based on our legitimate interest (see above).
Your right to be forgotten:
You have the right to request that your data be completely removed from our database in the cases referred to in the law.
Your right to limit processing:
In case of dispute regarding the processing of your personal data, you may ask to limit its processing. In this case, we will no longer use your personal data until the dispute is resolved.
Your right to data portability
Finally, you have the right to portability of your personal data that you yourself have communicated to us.
Exercise of your rights
You must exercise Your rights in writing. To exercise your rights, please provide us with proof of your identity (this in order to prevent any unauthorized disclosure or processing of Your personal data). For this purpose, we ask you to attach a copy of the front of your identity card to your request.
You can send your request to the following address:
By letter: Gabriëls en C° NV, Hekkestraat 41, 9308 Hofstade (t.a.v. de Verantwoordelijke ‘Privacy’),
By e-mail: email@example.com.
In accordance with the provisions of the privacy legislation, Gabriëls will process your request within a period of 30 days from the moment we are in possession of all the elements necessary to process it.
For more information about our privacy statement or if you have any complaints about the protection of your personal data, you may contact our Privacy Officer directly at the above address or e-mail address.
In addition, you may always contact the Data Protection Authority, Rue du Printing Press 35, 1000 Brussels or by e-mail addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you visit our website/webshop or use our mobile app, the following personal data are processed by us, automatically, on the basis of cookies and similar technologies placed by us:
Ip address, browser type and language, software, type and brand of device used while connecting to website/webshop and app, duration of website visit or app use, web address from which the website/ webshop or app was reached, pages viewed, links clicked and other actions taken on website/webshop or app.
What are cookies ?
What do we use the information collected through cookies for ?
Personal data collected through cookies on our websites are used
- For technical and functional purposes : to make our website/webshop or mobile app function technically, to optimize it and to remember technical choices (e.g. Language choice, newsletter, ....).
- For analytical and static purposes : to know more about our users and how they use our website/webshop, mobile app and to show more relevant services and offers ( Google Analytics, see below).
- For marketing purposes: to display relevant offers that match users' preferences (google AdWords) and are based on users' browsing behavior.
On our website, we useGoogle Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. Google Analytics sets a cookie to evaluate the use of our site and allows us to compile reports of activity on our website. This helps us to understand how visitors use our website. More information about Google Analytics' data processing can be found at this link: www.google.com/analytics/terms/nl.ht
Social Media buttons
Our website uses a number of social media tools in the form of "share" buttons that make it easy for users to share information with their friends on certain social networks. As a result, by visiting a page that incorporates such a social media plugin, you may encounter cookies from these websites. These websites are not under our control. If you use these links, you also accept the privacy policies of these sites.
How can you manage your cookies ?